|Here are a few useful links for those who may have been affected by any of the issues in Squirrels. These are some of the organisations that can offer help and support for those who are dealing with mental health issues or are seeking to support someone else. Mental Illness affects not just the sufferer but friends and family and it is important to seek support.
We will keep updating the page and, as always, welcome your feedback. It is important to spread the word that there is help out there, so feel free to bookmark or link to this page.
Here are a few of the responses to Squirrels:
“Mental Health should be the 4th Emergency Service. And it needs to be available at weekends.”
– Audience member
“I worked as Health Care Professional in large institutions and one of the things overlooked is how children can become Squirrels, looking after themselves. That is their therapy. We need to involve them from the start” – Audience member
“It is about building links, developing coping strategies that work for them” – Audience member
A very powerful message…thank you…
• Mind (http://www.mind.org.uk)
• Young Minds (http://www.youngminds.org.uk)
• Rethink Mental Illness (http://www.rethink.org)
• Mental Health Foundation (http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk)
• SANE (http://www.sane.org.uk)
• Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide (uk-sobs.org.uk)
Other Organisations that can help
Free text service aimed at young carers aged 14 -25 years across County Durham.
• Text ASK (followed by your question) to 80800. Open Monday-Friday 10am-9pm and Sundays 3pm-5pm
National Self Harm Network
• Self Harm Support
• 0800 6226000
• Anxiety disorder information/links
• 0844 4775774
• Confidential Young Suicide Prevention Advice for young people.
• HOPELineUK: 0800 068 41 41
• email: email@example.com
• Text support: 07786 209697
• Preventing suicide in young males
• 0800 585858 (7 days a week, 5pm until midnight)
• Textline: 07537 404717
If U Care Share Foundation
• Suicide Prevention and Support for those bereaved by suicide – based in Chester-le-Street.
• 0191 3875661
• email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cruse Bereavement Care / RD4U
• Advice, information and support to anyone bereaved, whenever or however the death occurred.
• Freephone helpline: 0808 808 1677
• email: email@example.com
Mental health and emotional support for young people.
• Young Minds Parent helpline – 0808 802 5544
• Confidential emotional support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair.
• Telephone: 08457 90 90 90 (24 hours a day)
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Confidential mental health information service.
• Telephone: 0300 123 3393 (9am-5pm Monday to Friday)
• Text: 86463 (open from 11am-4pm)
• Email: email@example.com
Rethink Mental Illness Advice Line
• Expert advice and information to anyone experiencing mental health problems and those who care for them.
• Telephone: 0300 5000 927 (10am-2pm Monday to Friday)
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Emotional support and information for people affected by mental health problems
• Telephone: 0845 767 8000 (6pm-11pm)
• Newcastle-based free, friendly, confidential advice and support service for young people aged 13-25yrs also offer online counselling.